Sunday, September 5, 2010

Coming Clean About Mysteries I loved This Year . . . by Molly MacRae

I was looking for a way to avoid doing laundry this afternoon and came up with this great scheme - I'll post a laundry list of good mysteries I read over the past year or so and I'll wind up feeling as virtuous as if I actually threw a load in the washer and hung it out to dry.

So, here you go, in alphabetical order by author, with only a few side comments to bog you down - books I loved this year in three categories.

Adult Mysteries, mostly on the cozy side:
The Poisoning in the Pub by Simon Brett
State of the Onion by Julie Hyzy
The Ghost and Mrs. McClure by Alice Kimberly
A Bad Day for Sorry by Sophie Littlefield (I need to get my hands on A Bad Day for Pretty)
The Desert Hedge Murders by Patricia Stoltey
Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann (sheep!)
Veil of Lies by Jeri Westerson (Medieval noir)

Graphic Novels 
Britten and Brulightly by Hannah Berry (Brulightly is a teabag)
Grandville by Bryan Talbot (Steampunk)

Young Adult / Juvenile (I work in the kids' department of the public library)
The Postcard by Tony Abbott
Into the Dark by Peter Abrahams (every book in the series is a gem)
Freddy the Detective by Walter R. Brooks (Published in 1932. Freddy is a pig who reads Sherlock Holmes.)
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (Newbery Medal winner)
43 Old Cemetery Road: Dying to Meet You by Kate Klise (epistolary)

What have you been reading?

3 comments:

  1. I am all for laundry avoidance! I have not read any of the mysteries on your list. I guess that means more books for my to-read list!

    I didn't know that Neil Gaiman wrote a YA novel. I really enjoyed his book Neverwhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's a challenge Molly. Now let's see if I can remember everything I read and loved this year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darcia, The Graveyard Book is terrific from the first sentence all the way through to the last. Gaiman uses words and story like a magician.

    Sarah, I use Shelfari to keep track of the books I read. That way I don't have to remember!

    ReplyDelete